Download Free Better Histogram Add-In for Excel
This free add-in shows just one of the important features of the upcoming Better Histogram add-in.
- A histogram is usually shown in Excel as a Column chart type (vertical bars).
- The labels of a Column chart are aligned under the center of each bar, and there is no Excel feature for changing the alignment.
- For continuous-valued data, a better histogram has a horizontal axis with numerical labels aligned under the tick marks between the bars as shown below.
Click the Download button to download and save a ZIP file containing (a) the free XLAM add-in file for automatically creating a Better Histogram from data on an Excel worksheet and (b) the How-To-Install-Addin PDF file.
|Download Better Histogram ZIP File|
The file name is Better-Histogram…Files…ZIP, approximately 450 KB.
After downloading, right-click (Windows) or double-click (Macintosh) the ZIP file to extract the compressed files.
The ZIP file contains the How To Install Add-in PDF file and the Better Histogram add-in XLAM file.
For temporary use, launch Excel, and use Excel’s File Open menu item to open the XLAM file.
Do not try to use the Better Histogram add-in by double-clicking the XLAM file.
For permanent use, refer to the How To Install Addin PDF file for instructions.
The PDF file has detailed instructions for installing the TreePlan, SensIt, and SimVoi add-ins. The same instructions apply to the Better Histogram XLAM add-in file.
Permanent installation is simple but is not automated.
Before you use the Better Histogram add-in, you may want to use Excel’s MIN and MAX worksheet functions to determine the minimum and maximum values of your data values, so that you can decide on “nice” intervals for your histogram.
To use the Better Histogram add-in, select the Excel worksheet containing your data.
- In Windows Excel 2010 & 2013 & 2016, choose Add-Ins ribbon > (Menu Commands section) Better Histogram, or press the shortcut key Control+Shift+B.
- In Mac Excel 2011, choose Tools | Better Histogram, or press the shortcut key Option+Command+B.
- In Mac Excel 2016, press the shortcut key Option+Command+B.
Inputs for the Better Histogram dialog box:
- The data range must be a range of cells containing only numbers, i.e., no text.
- The start value must be a number less than or equal to the minimum value of the data range.
- The step value must be greater than zero.
- The stop value must be greater than or equal to the maximum value of the data range.
- The start, step, and stop values must be chosen so that there are at least two intervals.
When you click OK, the frequency distribution and Better Histogram are created on a new worksheet.
You can use Excel features to modify the chart titles and to apply formatting as you wish.
If you want to modify the horizontal axis scale, it is important to align the values of the XY (Scatter) chart type with the vertical bars of the Column chart type.
The original manual method for creating a Better Histogram using Excel 2003 is described in detail in the paper Better-Histograms-Using-Excel-2003.PDF.
That manual method is automated by the Better Histogram XLAM add-in from the ZIP file available when you click the “Download Better Histogram ZIP File” button above.
Please send questions, comments, and suggestions to Mike Middleton <Mike@TreePlan.com>.